Thursday, April 17, 2014

When asked to compose an article by the Mayor’s Youth Advisory Council about the many issues that face the teenage community today, my mind was flooded with an almost infinite amount of writing possibilities. I feel that I might come across as ignorant or “disconnected” if I forget to include one of the many issues I feel we teens face today. What can I say? There is nothing more complex in the universe than the teenager, besides maybe the universe itself. OK, maybe that’s an over exaggeration, but we’re still pretty complex.
I find there to be many issues amongst my fellow teens that aren’t always addressed, such as bullying, teenage pregnancy, drug abuse, dating abuse/violence — not to mention the abhorrent language displayed by my peers on a day-to-day basis.
It’s very sad to see a generation that has so much potential, put themselves down by the means of using such illiterate and ignorant words. Not to forget the use of the words that aren’t necessarily meant to be used as an insult such as “gay” or “homo.” I find these two words to be very prominent in many teenage vocabularies today. I don’t think teenagers understand how they come across to some people when they use such words. Words can make you come across as a person of intellect and knowledge, or they can make you out to be some teenage hooligan that won’t amount to anything.
I leave you with a promised article next month by another member of the Mayor’s Youth Advisory Council. (kendallvillemyac.org)

-Zion Moulder, MYAC Secretary and Historian
ARTICLE ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED IN THE NEWS SUN, NOVEMBER, 2013.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome

Welcome to the Mayor's Youth Advisory Council of Kendallville, Indiana's official blog!

Here, you can find information regarding all things MYAC related, as well as things that concern the Kendallville/Noble County community.

To stay up-to-date on information pertaining to MYAC, we highly recommend you SUBSCRIBE to this blog. It should only take a few seconds of you time.

Also, if you want to learn more about MYAC, check out our website: www.kendallvillemyac.org.
Blog published under the authority of Kendallville MYAC. Powered by Blogger.

Recent Posts

Our Twitter